What went well?
Whilst creating my magazine I think that a number of things
went well. Firstly, I took lots of images in order to select one from a range
of same photos. The fact that I could do them really helped me in choosing the
correct image for my final product. I think that the image manipulation of my
model on the right hand side of the page really helped me to get the teasers
and cover lines in the correct position. If I were to publish this magazine and
it was on a shelf in the shop, the main cover lines and teasers would be seen
as the left hand side of the page is shown. The layout of my magazine I planned
from the very start, which helped me a great deal. Once I gathered my images,
all I needed to do was insert them into Photoshop for the cover and my other
writing on the page was already there. The masthead which says ‘LSC weekly’ was
the largest font on the magazine. I did this so that it stands out, every
audience needs to know what they are reading. Next up from that was my main
cover lines, these has to be big so that it entices the audience to buy it or
pick it up in my case because my magazine is free. I chose to keep it free so
that the audience doesn’t have to think twice about picking it up. Also, because
it is situated in the college it appeals to the audience. Many college students
are stuck for money or spend it on something more valuable, a college magazine
not being one of them. So by me keeping it free I have made the right decision.
For me, the easiest programme to use was Photoshop. I managed to understand
where the tools where and how it worked in a short period of time. However, I
did struggle with InDesign. InDesign caused me some problems as I didn’t know
how to use it appropriately. I knew how to get the page up by clicking on a new
document and selecting international paper, but I couldn’t make the text box
transparent. In the end I used help from my teacher and soon got the hang of
it. The main cover was easy to create and took the least time, while the
contents took longer. But now that I have created both of the pieces, I’m the
most happy with my contents. For my contents page, I gathered inspiration from
another college magazine which I found on the internet. I liked how she made
her contents page stand out with colourful boxes and tried to insert that into
my own design. Unfortunately, mine isn’t as good as hers but mine is unique in
my own way.
What do I need to
improve on?
The parts in which I need to improve on is the main cover.
Judging from the feedback that I received by asking my peers. I was told that
in order to make my magazine look more realistic I should change some of the
fonts on the front cover. So for example, I could change the cover line and not
make it so bold. Or I could change the teasers and alter them to make sure that
it fits in well with the magazine. One aspect that I know I could change and it
would instantly make the magazine look better is the size of the writing and
the way the picture is set out. On the left hand side of my image there is a
white wall. That is done purposely so that the cover line and teasers can be
included. If the white space was a little bigger the writing would fit in well
and it would improve the magazine. On my contents page, I could improve the
colours that I used. Over the background
I used a purple box which is a little transparent so that the background image
can be seen. I tried to change the colour of the text so that it stands out
more but I faced some difficulties with this. In the end, I decided to stick
with the colour of pink even though it blended in a little. I need to improve
my skills on InDesign in order to create a successful piece of work.
Points to develop
My three points of development for when I’m crating the main
task is
1)
Make sure that I understand how to use InDesign
properly and ask for help when needed and if I don’t understand a certain
aspect of it.
2)
Research different magazines of my genre
(R&B and Hip-Hop) and analyse them in depth to create a final magazine that
is realistic and is similar in the way things are set out.
3)
In the main task make sure that I take a variety
of different shots and in different locations to make sure that I exceed the
full marks that I can get.
No comments:
Post a Comment